Major UFO sightings
Included in this list of UFO sightings are also cases of alleged alien sightings and abductions.
Some cases are popularly known, and have become folklore. Others are more obscure, and known mainly to Ufologists and enthusiasts.19th Century UFO sightings
• 1800: March 29th, Prediger Fritsch saw in Quedlinburg a tiny spot crossing the sun in 6 hours.
• 1802: February 27th, Prediger Fritsch saw in Quedlinburg a tiny spot crossing the sun in northwestern-direction and accelerated thereby.
• 1839: October 2nd, Cupper saw transit of unidentified object in front of the sun.
• 1849: March 12th, Sidebotham saw transit of tiny spot on the sun.
• 1859: March 26th, Lescarbault saw transit of unknown body in front of the sun. Liais in Brasilia saw no such thing.
• 1862: March 20th, Lummis, ingenieur of Manchester, saw transit of unknown object in front of the sun. 20th Century UFO sightings
1913 and later: The Brown Mountain Lights,
made famous via a bluegrass song.
1942: February 24 and 25, the West coast air raid,
unidentified aerial objects trigger the military to fire thousands of anti-aircraft rounds into the sky and raised the wartime alert status.
1944: Foo fighters,
colourful spheres recurringly spotted by military air crews around the world.
1946 and later: Ghost rockets,
objects with characteristics of cruise missiles sighted repeatedly all over Scandinavia—Swedish Defense Staff expressed concern.
• 1947: June 23, Maury Island incident, a highly controversial story, where a dog was killed and a boy injured by UFOs and the witness threatened by Men in Black.
1947: June 24, Kenneth Arnold’s sighting,
the incident that sparked the name flying saucers.
1947: June 14 or July 4, Roswell UFO incident,
US Air Force on July 8: captured flying saucer; on July 9: weather balloon; in 1994 and 1997, respectively: Project Mogul balloon train. Witnesses and UFO researcher: crashed UFO and alien crew.
• 1948: So-called Green Fireballs were reported over several United States military bases; an official investigation followed.
1948: Mantell Incident,
US Air Force sent a fighter pilot to check a UFO sighting—the pilot crashed.
• 1948: Kapustin Yar Incident, where supposedly a “cigar” shaped UFO was shot down by a Russian MIG that crashed.
• 1949: Astronomer Clyde Tombaugh reported a strange sighting.
• 1950: August 15, The Mariana UFO Incident in Great Falls, Montana.
• 1952: Carson Sink Case over western Nevada, USA.
1952: "What does all this stuff about flying saucers amount to?
What can it mean? What is the truth? Let me have a report at your convenience”. Winston Churchill
• 1952: Washington flap, a stirring series of UFO sightings with radar contacts in Washington, DC, USA. This resulted in the implementation of the
by the CIA, to set up protocol in which UFO/alien witnesses, interested parties are to be ridiculed and discredited, UFO groups, etc. are to be spied upon.
1953: U.S Air Force Pilot Felix Moncla
disappears while pursuing a UFO.
• 1954: French flap, Hundreds of UFO sightings.
• 1954: Unknown orbiting satellites reported, astronomer Clyde Tombaugh involved.
• 1955: Kelly-Hopkinsville encounter, a group of strange playful creatures bullied a family.
• 1957: 1957 flap, multiple car stallings by large UFOs in Levelland Texas and New Mexico, UFO sightings over New Mexico military areas.
• 1961: Hill Abduction, the first widely publicized alien abduction experience.
• 1964: Lonnie Zamora, a police officer in Socorro, New Mexico, US, reports a close encounter.
1965: December 9, Kecksburg incident,
mass sighting of a falling UFO followed by an alleged isolation of the crash site.
1965: Frank Borman’s photo,
a UFO picture by an astronaut, he took a picture of the UFO that followed the Gemini 7 flight.
• 1967: Falcon Lake Incident, according to the story UFO’s exhausts burnt man.
1967: October 4, Shag Harbour Nova Scotia UFO crash,
object seen crashing into Shag Harbor followed by Canadian naval search; officially referred to as UFO crash.
1969: Jimmy Carter’s sighting,
a UFO officially reported by a President.
1969: Neil Armstrong’s sighting,
a UFO reported by an astronaut, he saw two UFOs after the Apollo 11 landed on the moon.
• 1971: Delphos ground trace, UFO left an obscure impression.
• 1973: Pascagoula Abduction, a well-publicized alien abduction experience.
• 1974: Berwyn Mountain Incident, a sighting in United Kingdom taken at first as a downed aircraft.
• 1975: Travis Walton abduction, a man went missing for days—came back with a story of an abduction, wrote a book which was adapted into a film.
• 1977: Colares flap, a bewildering account of a Brazilian island swamped by harmful UFOs—35 injured, island evacuated.
1978: Valentich Disappearance,
an Australian pilot reported a UFO to air traffic control before vanishing without a trace.
• 1979: Marshall County incident, a sheriff spotted a weird bright light which seems to have collided with his vehicle.
• 1980: Cash-Landrum incident, a peculiar sighting accompanied by injuries to three witnesses.
1980: Rendlesham Forest Incident,
a sighting in United Kingdom taken at first as a downed aircraft.
• 1982: Baikonur Cosmodrome Raid, the launching site was temporarily shut down after having been supposedly raided and sabotaged by UFOs in June.
• 1985: Tbilisi-sighting, Soviet commercial airliners crew and passengers observed a strange light during a flight from Tbilisi in Georgia to Tallinn in Estonia in January 1985.
• 1986: January 29th, Height 611 UFO Incident, a UFO crash claim in Dalnegorsk, USSR, followed by a UFO landing claim in 1989.
• 1986: November 16th, Japan Air Lines Flight 1628, a group of UFOs flew with Japan Air Lines Flight 1628 in northeastern Alaska for 50 minutes.
• 1990: Belgian flap, several mass sightings of triangular UFOs—Belgian Air Force intercepted a radar-visual contact and released footage.
• 1990: Montréal, Québec, Canada UFO - November 7, 1990, More than 40 people, including policemen, observe a UFO for more than 3 hours above a hotel in downtown Montréal.
• 1996: Varginha incident, multiple sightings of strange creatures in Minas Gerais, Brazil.
1997: Mexico City footage.
• 1997: Phoenix, Arizona UFO incident, multiple UFO sightings of slow moving lights in formation over the Phoenix metro area. 21st Century UFO sightings
• 2001: September 11, a UFO is allegedly filmed during the 9/11 attacks in New York City. A small object can be seen in the sky as the second plane hits the World Trade Center.
2004: Mexican air patrol sighting,
a drug-smuggling air patrol recorded UFOs on infrared camera, footage released by Jaime Maussan. Case debunked in July 2004 by Captain Alejandro Franz.
• 2005: April 27th, White House evacuated as UFO enters restricted air space, and then disappears. It was explained as “probably a cloud or several birds.”
• 2005: UFOs are reported and photographed in the Kaufman, Texas area.
• 2006: Chris Shields in Arosa, Switzerland spotted an UFO at exactly 3 minutes after the New Year. He explains that it was a green dot rotating in the sky.
2007: Airline pilots spot UFOs north east of the island of Guernsey.
Does the increase of UFO sightings in the 20th Century mean at some point in the near future we will be contacted by beings from other worlds or are we just becoming more observant of our surroundings, only time will tell... “Into the 21st Century and beyond.”
This compilation of UFO Sightings has been abducted and edited from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Area 51 News Opt-In E-zine